A Diploma Supplement label is to be awarded to Higher Education Institutions which deliver a Diploma Supplement, to all graduates in all first and second cycle programmes offered by that institution, in accordance with the model developed by the European Commission, Council of Europe and UNESCO.
The Diploma Supplement (DS) accompanies a higher education diploma, providing a standardized description of the nature, level, context, content and status of the studies completed by its holder.
Diploma Supplement, which is an important document of European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) in International Higher Education Area, not only helps the definition of the phases of the graduates’ education understood by different education systems but also gives detailed information about the degrees, levels, and vocational competencies of the graduate.
"Diploma Supplement Certification " was obtained in 2012. Maltepe University has been giving a diploma supplement based on the workload-based credit system (ECTS) since the 2012-2013 academic year.
For students, the Diploma Supplement offers:
- A diploma that is more readable and easily comparable abroad,
- A precise description of their academic career and the competencies acquired during the study period,
- An objective description of their achievements and competencies,
- Easier access to opportunities of work or further studies abroad, and
For higher education institutions, the benefits of the Diploma Supplement are:
- It facilitates academic and professional recognition, thus increasing the transparency of qualifications,
- It protects national/institutional autonomy while offering a common frame which is accepted all over Europe,
- It promotes informed judgments about qualifications that can be understood in another educational context,
- It raises the visibility of the institution abroad,
- It promotes the employability of their graduates at national and international level,
- It helps to save time since it provides the answers to a lot of recurrent questions put to administrative services in institutions about the content and portability of diplomas.